• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Steering Issues

Sure, will keep you updated.

If you want to take a look in the german sub here is the thread:

https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/lenkung-klebt.4520/

Short summery, multiple cars with the same issue, different "solutions" from recalibrating steering sensors to changing the whole steering internals. Last info said something about a software update.

Will See what my dealer has to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mightymoo
Car is back from inspection. They said the steering linkage has to be changed and they are asking Hyundai for permission to do so.

Good thing was, that one of there employee´s is also driving a N and reported the same behavior.

I´ll call them in about weeks to ask if they got the permission and to make a new appointment.

Got a call from my dealer. Hyundai told them to reboot/recalibrate the steering systems before they take further actions.

Next appointment is friday next week.

Should take about 1h.

Got a call from my dealer. Hyundai told them to reboot/recalibrate the steering systems before they take further actions.

Next appointment is friday next week.

Should take about 1h.
You'd think the dealership would have worked out that already without having to ask for technical assistance.

Reactions: GazmaN
Little update, had to cancel my appointment, cuz I had to go to hospital for a small surgery.

If I made a new appointment and the work is done I'll update you again.

@Jajodu

They only asked Hyundai cuz Hyundai has to pay for everything for it beeing a warrenty issue.

Reactions: Jajodu
Turned off the LKA tonight and it did not help :(.

The sticky steering wheel seems to come after about 30-40 mins driving. Can be explained like this: Driving about 60 km/h or above, straight ahead and trying to do small corrections on the wheel. Feels sticky until a little extra movement input is given :confused:.

I felt the same thing on my weekend cruise.
Driving straight and made minimal input to right and steering feels like its stuck until i use a lot more force to be able to steer the car!
Then it pulls quite a bit to the right.
It makes the car very shitty to drive.

It did the same with any drivemodes.
And no difference was LKA on or off.

it does not do it to left.

(i have LHD car)

If you lift the front of the car and slowly wind the steering lock to lock what does it feel like, do it with engine off and then with engine running, let me know.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Today with the Hyundai tester...
No fault codes found.
Calibration of the steering angle sensor could not be performed.
So tech from Hyundai recommends that steering rack is more likely to be changed.

Did you get your steering rack changed?

No, Hyundai want´s them to recalibrate the steering sensors first.
Hadn´t time to make an appointment for this yet.

Will call them next week and see if there is a chance to do so.

Had a similar problem with my WRX, it was the steering bushing, but electric steering can be wonky for sure. On my BMW, it was downright bad. On my SS 1LE, excellent. BMW brought it to market well before they perfected it.

Back from the dealer. The steering was recalibrated (old calibration data was deleted and system got recalibrated).

Time will tell if that fixed the Problem, but für feeling after about 25 Km is, that it's still happening.
I'll give it some time and Km's and see if it changes.

Reactions: R Veloster N