• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Exhaust Pops & Bangs discussion

If you change from normal to N mode, does the sound change? Maybe your exhaust valve is not working properly (although there should be some kind of error message visible for the dealer then).

Reason I ask is i 'lost' these a few weeks back and it was down to me increasing Rev matching up to Sport from Normal in N Custom. Guess it was hanging on to the revs (which is to be expected).
Are you saying that you don't get the overrun burbles if you have rev matching set to anything above Normal, i.e. Sport or Sport+?

Are you saying that you don't get the overrun burbles if you have rev matching set to anything above Normal, i.e. Sport or Sport+?

Its certainly seemed that way on mine, yes.

I didn't set it higher again to totally confirm but the car seemed quieter when lifting off when I upped the Rev Matching.
Rev match in normal and the car almost instantly found its low gurgly voice again.

Reactions: BillTheButcher
That's odd, I wonder if the clutch position sensor needs adjustment, perhaps the car thinks your foot is on the clutch pedal and activating rev match abnormally.

Its certainly seemed that way on mine, yes.

I didn't set it higher again to totally confirm but the car seemed quieter when lifting off when I upped the Rev Matching.
Rev match in normal and the car almost instantly found its low gurgly voice again.
Interesting. I'm just about to hit 400 miles - I haven't been much above 3k RPM yet. Last night I noticed that mine is starting to rumble and burble a bit on the overrun. That's with the exhaust in Sport+.

I do have a pedal box fitted so that might be a factor with the ECU/throttle positioning?!

I don't see it as a problem, I prefer Rev Match set to normal anyway.

Reactions: iiNNEX
@Reido

Here is a short video of mine, at about 2000 miles on it (GPF model). Single pops easily at around 4k-4.5k rpm: (sorry about the terrible portrait quality lol)

Custom mode, all on highest settings bar the suspension.
Yea I am getting nothing like that pop at the end. Something is definatly wrong with my one. Really annoyed not sure how to get this fixed.

I will try get a short video of my one tonight and upload it to compare.

Yea I am getting nothing like that pop at the end. Something is definatly wrong with my one. Really annoyed not sure how to get this fixed.

I will try get a short video of my one tonight and upload it to compare.

If only we had a protective cover for our N's, something that would allow us to get it fixed for free from Hyundai themselves and lasts for five years...:rolleyes: I think if we had one of those things it should be called a warranty , that would be a good name for it

Reactions: REM66
If only we had a protective cover for our N's, something that would allow us to get it fixed for free from Hyundai themselves and lasts for five years...:rolleyes: I think if we had one of those things it should be called a warranty , that would be a good name for it
I have already taken back to the dealer and they tell me the exhause system is fine so they cant swap anything under warranty. I am getting a replacement stearing rack put in as this also has an issue so will get them to look at it again then.

Sorry you are having issues with the car. Had my N for 15 months now, and here is my two cents regarding sound.

I totally LOVE the burbles and grumbles in N-mode. Makes the car sound very mean :cool:.

Pops and bangs are »often» fun in tunnels, under bridge passes and similar places for being silly.

I turn OFF pops and bangs for most of my driving (set «Engine»-setting to SPORT and «Exhaust»-setting to SPORT+), because I feel like I am »trying to hard» with gun shots all the time. Have done several sound drive-bys with friends, and the verdict is that the car sound most awesome with this N-custom setting.

But again, sound is a very personsl taste ;).

Good luck getting the issue sorted out.

I have already taken back to the dealer and they tell me the exhause system is fine so they cant swap anything under warranty. I am getting a replacement stearing rack put in as this also has an issue so will get them to look at it again then.
Have you shown evidence to them that others do pops and bang and yours don’t?

Had the same issue with my Megane RS a while back. Car started popping and banging again when I changed the oil with the correct brand (dealer had put in a cheaper alternative) and I changed the fuel I use (Shell V-Power 100 octane did the trick). Not sure exactly what fixed it but the combination of these 2 changes did it.
It could also be a clogged catalytic converter or GPF (if equipped). The dealer will never accept a warranty claim for such an issue unless it causes a CEL. Try a fuel and oil additive. I recommend Bardahl and Lique Moly (if available locally). :)

Had the same issue with my Megane RS a while back. Car started popping and banging again when I changed the oil with the correct brand (dealer had put in a cheaper alternative) and I changed the fuel I use (Shell V-Power 100 octane did the trick). Not sure exactly what fixed it but the combination of these 2 changes did it.
It could also be a clogged catalytic converter or GPF (if equipped). The dealer will never accept a warranty claim for such an issue unless it causes a CEL. Try a fuel and oil additive. I recommend Bardahl and Lique Moly (if available locally). :)
Ok, the dealer can't accept a claim, but if everything was done properly, eg maintenance on its own time/km at the dealers, no evidence of "outside" touch from anyone else beside the dealer, in addition of a video of other equal car poping and banging like crazy and he isn't able to, wouldn't that be considered a fair claim? For some reason they insist we keep with their service schedule (i even go for their free check ups between services, no pointing finger for me) so that, at some point, you have some claim to do they cant refuse to take a good look at. Seams fairly dodgy that dealer imo.

Yes I’ve done a couple of trackdays and yes after a couple of fast laps the pops and crackles start to disappear and they do return when the car cools down.

Has anybody had there i30N Performance make a noise which sounds like the exhaust valve moving while the car is turned off?

The car is a late 2019 hatchback. I've heard mine make a whirr noise with a mechanical click and it's quite loud but the car is locked and often hasn't been moved for several hours when I have heard it, the noise is from somewhere near the rear of the car. No keys anywhere near it either as they are kept in faraday pouches while car is parked at home.

It's not a problem I just wonder if it's programmed to exercise the exhaust flap to prevent it sticking?

So that's what it is! Heard it a few times but only when I'd just been in the boot, assumed it was something to do with the boot lock...

Reactions: REM66