• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Emotion reviews

JP_Irl

Nthusiast
Jan 6, 2019
Ireland
See so many people looking to know if they should take the leap from GTI's Fords etc and I get it, Hyundais first go bla bla, but for all the cornering precision, balance, 0-60, stiffness braking performance talk I think there is a large group that reason you buy this car is emotive. Now I don't want an over indulgent thing but for me the joy of ownership of this car has been emotive for me so far.
1)- I wrote on a previous post that I look at owning the i30N as an early adopter pioneer thing, never done it before as I believed that version 2 of a product will be so much better as kinks worked out etc but a huge huge part of ownership of this car for me is being part of the Test dummy group and looking at the suggestions that people have here for it and seeing do they apply to me or will the next one have them. That and the uniqueness of the car, GTi great car everyone knows em. People see the N and they just want to fawn over it (or so has been my experience) and I just love the way Hyundai has brought the other manufacturers out of their comfort zone. Both cars are great cars but because Hyundai in my mind listened to the market instead of telling the market this is what they wanted they got my €€.

2)- There is a section of twisty 10 mile main road that has a great surface that I drive every week. The smile on my face for this as I push the car, all settings up, revs kept in the first orange bar of shift lights all the time so constantly popping. Little wobble here and there to remind you light car, pure driving joy.

3)- The pride I get in my little machine when I see change in someone who sees little noisy Hyundai and then are all over the settings screen in disbelief, performance etc.

Haven't had a car give me the emotional kick this one does, from an engineer that has to mean something. I would welcome you guys to add to the below, or even 1 word emotive responses.

It just makes me smile. Thinking about it. Looking at it. Washing and detailing it. Driving the pants off it.

It has changed my outlook on life. Getting up and going to work is not as painful as it used to be because I get to drive it there. Coming home - well, even better!! If I am feeling down I just go for a drive and I feel better. All of us consider it to be a member of the family. We just love it.

Pretty much what @GazmaN describes apart from my wife now sees the car as competing for her affections. Probably due to the amount of time spent cleaning the car compared to talking to the wife. She does like riding in it though! and is always up for a short road trip.
I love being pushed back in the seat when you plant your foot.
I love the way it hangs on though tight curves like a GoKart.
I love changing down gears even at low speeds and hearing that burble from the exhaust.
I like being able to pass someone while going up a hill. (I come from years of driving a Toyota Corolla - no passing up hill there!)
I love watching the "try hards" in their old WRX's or Silvia's with exhaust pipes you could spelunk through making it all look hard while the N acts like a Nike ad and just does it.

I'm a car person and always have been. I don't expect non car people to have a connection to an inanimate object like a car. Why do I feel this way? I have no idea. I am just smiling and enjoying the ride. :cool::)

Coming home - well, even better!!
Spot on! Going to work can be fun, but one knows what lies waiting, but leaving work? There doesn't have to be a 'straight' trip home - detours are welcomed. In my case, the Autobahn is only minutes from the front door of work.

She does like riding in it though!
My wife loves driving along as well, but not when the speedometer starts to climb over 130 kmh - 'I don't mind if you wanna drive fast when I'm not in the car, but please remember that I'm here right now.'

Pretty much what @GazmaN describes apart from my wife now sees the car as competing for her affections. Probably due to the amount of time spent cleaning the car compared to talking to the wife. She does like riding in it though! and is always up for a short road trip.
I love being pushed back in the seat when you plant your foot.
I love the way it hangs on though tight curves like a GoKart.
I love changing down gears even at low speeds and hearing that burble from the exhaust.
I like being able to pass someone while going up a hill. (I come from years of driving a Toyota Corolla - no passing up hill there!)
I love watching the "try hards" in their old WRX's or Silvia's with exhaust pipes you could spelunk through making it all look hard while the N acts like a Nike ad and just does it.

I'm a car person and always have been. I don't expect non car people to have a connection to an inanimate object like a car. Why do I feel this way? I have no idea. I am just smiling and enjoying the ride. :cool::)

This and what the OP said, is why I’m looking forward to getting an N...just working on when...

Reactions: GazmaN and Stash-N
Another SA owner would be good. @Davo01 :cool::)
Hatch or Fastback - colour ?

Ha! Would love to meet up if / when - not even close to ordered yet.

Hatch Lux for sure. No sunroof.

I don’t want a dark colour - had a black car and although I love love the way they look especially at night (my motos have both been black too), but OMFG the scratches and swirls lol. So I keep tossing and turning re colour...

PW - very classic, clean, a bit more of a sleeper, doesn’t show marks easily...

PB - iconic colour, will polish up more “wet” looking, and the nod to the 70’s SA cop car baby blue would be a huge added bonus...

PW...

PB...

around it goes...probably landing on PW...

hi guys

i love to start the engine every morning i go to work, drive outside the garage, drive the car my 10 km to work and arrive on work to a really big parking lot garage. i am almost every morning the first guy in the garage, so i can give some throttle in the garage with windows open and enjoy just the exhaust. i love it. i love it how the car "glue" on the street like a go kart. its really a nasty funny small daily driver with a big potential and a lot of smile, well done hyundai

I'm very attached to mine, even if I don't get to drive it as often as I would like AND may have to hand it back when I get a company Car (taxed out the anus for that one).

The car is pure joy; ever corner, every time you hit the accelerator, every pop from the exhaust and every overtake is an experience to that you feel deep down.

It's value shouldn't be measured in currency or as a comparison to other hatchbacks but in how you feel getting in for the first time vs how you feel getting out afterwards.

It's value shouldn't be measured in currency or as a comparison to other hatchbacks but in how you feel getting in for the first time vs how you feel getting out afterwards.

This was what I was trying to say a little long windily. I get performance and data and numbers all matter but this car isn't about that. Nor do I think the hot hatch sector is about that tbh.

Been in a dark place for some months after being diagnosed with a condition that means decent pain on an a daily basis (after 40 something years of almost perfect health, WTF am I even complaining :rolleyes:?). But today the planets aligned...

I woke up to discover, for the first time since owning her, that my N had not been sh*t on by any one of a number of living creatures, been covered in ash from controlled bushfires, or dust coz it hasn't rained for 6 months, or covered in dew. I'd only washed her yesterday so I gave her some detailing spray and a buff and she looked most fine.

The drive in to work was magic - hit a sweet spot between two packs of vehicles and not one red traffic light so the road was ours. The wife and I laughed our arses off, windows down, wind in hair and exploiting the favourable condtitions to a heavy metal soundtrack on a cranked stereo. She usually punches me in the arm the moment my right thumb goes for that blue button. Not today.

Work was fine. The 'clients' behaved themselves and nobody got hurt. Awesome.

The trip home was a little more sedate - just a nice cruise except for one 'show of force' to a driver of a particular VAG vehicle (I will not speak its name in my house). So then I found myself sitting on a crate in the driveway with a beer in my hand and a clean N in my driveway. I watched the shade of the PB paint change as the sun went down and realised this was one of the the best days I've had this year.

20191018_182959.jpg

The N can really make your problems (momentarily) go away, and if we treasure it, it will give you something back.
When i get back home from work on those days i'm soooooo tired of the office, i get into the N and it seams the day has just begun. Really puts a smile on your face and uplifts your spirit.

Hope days like the one you described could "appear" more often for you and everybody.

Cheers mate and rock on :cool:

Been in a dark place for some months after being diagnosed with a condition that means decent pain on an a daily basis (after 40 something years of almost perfect health.......
I'm very concerned to hear this.:( If you care or need to talk about anything, I'm available at your time and leisure. At times, it helps too confide or talk with someone you don't know. There is no judgement, no dishonor, or lack of kindness.:)