• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning JB4 Installation

Jigbits

Nthusiast
Feb 18, 2019
Florida
So this is my first time actually working on a car myself. I read a lot of good things about the JB4 and was pretty excited to find that it works with the Veloster N. I've never installed anything like this before and considering there is little to no info about the Veloster N out there I was kinda worried I would mess something up. It was actually much easier than I thought.

Since there isn't much info out there for installing one of these in the Veloster N, Burger themselves don't even have any info their instructions are for the Stinger, I figured I'd go ahead and post how I installed it.

First thing I did was run the OBD plug from inside my car to the engine. I know 1FastStagea and RPM8300 both ran their cable through the firewall where the hood release comes in but I wanted to do something a little less intensive and easier to remove/install. So what I did was run the cable through a little opening inside the fender into the engine bay. The photo bellow shows where the wire will be coming out.
IMG_20190307_142057.jpg

You will see in another picture bellow that there is a hard piece of black plastic that acts as a sort of stopper between the fender and the door hinge. You'll see that you can push it aside and see right through the fender into the engine bay. So you'll push that black plastic aside and slip the small connector of the wire through the fender area and pull it out from the engine bay. From there I ran the wire under the plastic cover that goes over where the strut is bolted down (pictured above).

IMG_20190420_191322.jpg
So with the wire in the engine bay I cleaned up the wire inside the best I could. While it's not that stealthy it is a bit easier to remove if need be. I was in a bit of a rush so I used some weatherproof gorilla tape to keep it in place for now.

IMG_20190307_134435.jpg

I pulled out the rubber seal around the door and ran the wire under that and ran the wire into the dash and out bellow the fuse box where the OBD plug is.

IMG_20190307_134428.jpg

After that part was done I went ahead and closed the door and locked my car with the hood open, took my keys inside my office, then waited about 10 min to make sure the computer was asleep. Then I went ahead and plugged in the MAP and TMAP sensor plugs. They were pretty easy to find after I saw what they looked like in real life.
IMG_20190307_145144.jpg

Originally I put the JB4 between the battery and the factory air box. If you don't plan on replacing the intake then this place will work just fine. I ended up replacing my intake and decided to move my JB4 to the top of the fuse box. I bought some industrial strength Velcro strips rated for 65C and 10lbs and stuck it to the top. I've taken the JB4 on and off a few times already and it still holds up just fine.
IMG_20190808_165608.jpg

Lastly I cheaped out and went with just the simple USB cable to hook up to my PC. I have a Surface Go so it's small enough to carry around if I want to monitor any live diagnostic stuff but since performance parts are pretty much nonexistent right now and I'm pretty new to this stuff I don't think I'll be doing much fine tuning myself so I just left the cable in the engine bay tucked behind the left headlight. So I can just pop my hood and pull the cable out and run it through the same route as the OBD cable if I need to use it in the car or just change the map/upgrade the firmware and tuck it back.

IMG_20190307_145912.jpg

And that's it. I turned the car on(engine off), hooked up the USB to my PC, and it detected it right away! In all it took me about 2 hours but that included going over all my options for running the cable. Once I decided on that part I'd say it took me less than 30 min to get it updated and working.

So I hope anyone looking for a little guidance on how to install one of these on the Veloster N finds this helpful. Like I said I was a bit worried about doing this for the first time with such little info out there about this specific car but it really wasn't too bad.

For any of you that DO have experience with this stuff let me know if I did anything wrong or if there is something that could have been done better. I'd hate to mess my car up so any criticism or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Fuel Wire Install:

So @Maggei82 messaged me a few days ago about the fuel wire install for the JB4. They helpfully pointed me to RPM8300's blog where he had a small guide for installing the fuel wire. It was in Korean but incredibly helpful and made it much easier for me to figure out how to go about installing it. So I went ahead and hooked the wire up today and figured I'd update my post with a few pictures.

IMG_20190417_134404.jpg

So the above image is the location of the O2 sensor you want to tap into. Specifically the red wire on that harness.

IMG_20190417_134407.jpg

Here you can see the little red vampire tap that came with the wire. It was quite easy to get on the wire. Just unscrew the gray end and slip the wire between the little spaces then just screw the red part back onto the gray. There is a tiny little needle like point inside that should pierce the wire and tap into it.

Then unscrew the opposite red end and put the long black wire coming from the JB4 into it and carefully place the stripped end of the black wire through the red cap you just unscrewed and then into the red tap. The stripped end should be making contact with the metal inside the tap, then just screw the end back on.

Before I put the cover back on I wrapped the wire around one of the tubes that run from that side of the engine to the other to keep it away from anything too hot. I'm probably going to order a heat shield tube and put the wire inside of it just to be safe.

IMG_20190417_134412.jpg

That's pretty much it. It was very simple to do and took all of 5 minutes after I saw the O2 sensor to tap into. Also to note that my JB4 came with the fuel wires already installed into the JB4. I know that some don't and you have to put the wire into the JB4 yourself. I didn't have to do that but from RPM8300's blog his had to be done that way and he said to put the wire into the number 20 slot on the JB4.

Again thanks to @Maggei82 for their work in finding RPM8300's blog on Naver and showing it to me!

Last edited:
I would suggest sealing the USB plug end with a small plastic bag so moisture doesn't get in there and short anything out. Just put a small ziplock bag or something similar and zip-tie it shut around the cable.

Although fishing the OBD connector plug through the hood release cable grommet on the firewall is a lot more difficult than this method, it also is a lot less obvious and can be hidden very easily in the event you need to remove the JB4 for warranty work or anything else. Your solution works too, but seeing a piece of tape every time I open my door would bug my OCD hahah.

Other than that, looks good. I chose the same location for my module, between the airbox and battery. Hardly noticeable at all :)

You should also mention that the first thing to do once it's installed is to update to the latest firmware for the module, located here (bottom of first post) as well as a bunch of other useful info regarding the JB4: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52020

Firmware should be updated with key on & engine off (press the start button twice without pressing the clutch)

It's also highly recommended to use the fuel wires they provide for the Stinger as it allows you to alter your AFR as necessary to ensure safe/efficient AFR when changing boost values. If anyone wants help with that I can post a short tutorial as the procedure is different than with the Stinger.

Yes I took 1FastStagea advice before and the first thing I did was update the firmware, definitely a good idea considering all the updates Burger has put out. I'm certainly going to revisit the tape issue because while it's not terribly noticeable it isn't exactly ideal for me either. I may re-run it maybe higher up or lower down depending on how much slack there is but that'll be something I try and address.

The fuel wire thing I would certainly be interested in hooking up if it does help later on with custom mappings and what not. I have to assume with this kind of stuff "every little bit helps" so yeah I'd love to see exactly how to hook those wires up.

Good job, @Jigbits. If this evolves into a detailed step-by-step procedure, it should be moved to the tutorials section, but for now it should stay in this section, since it is “quick and dirty.” Another reason is people looking for JB4 info will look here first, since we still can’t search for JB4 (hint, hint, admins).

@1FastStagea
While I’m not a fan of cutting and splicing into factory wiring, I definitely am interested in the fuel setup, because it’s crucial.

@1FastStagea
While I’m not a fan of cutting and splicing into factory wiring, I definitely am interested in the fuel setup, because it’s crucial.

No cutting or splicing required, it uses a t-tap/vampire clip so it's minimally intrusive and easily reversible/hidable which is great. I'll make a quick guide when I have some free time in the next few days.

.......It's also highly recommended to use the fuel wires they provide for the Stinger as it allows you to alter your AFR as necessary to ensure safe/efficient AFR when changing boost values. If anyone wants help with that I can post a short tutorial as the procedure is different than with the Stinger.

@1FastStagea
Do you still have a tutorial for the fuel wires.
Thanks
Markus

Reactions: Cygnus X-1
Yeah I would like to see how to splice those wires in. I've seen it on the Stinger but for the N I have no idea how to splice them in. I don't know much about wiring engines so even just a few pictures of where to put them would be great.

@1FastStagea I would love to see where to put these wires, if you have time to show us. I would be very grateful as I'm sure a lot of people considering this mod would agree.

So this is my first time actually working on a car myself. I read a lot of good things about the JB4 and was pretty excited to find that it works with the Veloster N. I've never installed anything like this before and considering there is little to no info about the Veloster N out there I was kinda worried I would mess something up. It was actually much easier than I thought.

Since there isn't much info out there for installing one of these in the Veloster N, Burger themselves don't even have any info their instructions are for the Stinger, I figured I'd go ahead and post how I installed it.

First thing I did was run the OBD plug from inside my car to the engine. I know 1FastStagea and RPM8300 both ran their cable through the firewall where the hood release comes in but I wanted to do something a little less intensive and easier to remove/install. So what I did was run the cable through a little opening inside the engine bay over the wheel that comes out at the door hinge.
View attachment 6043

Then I ran the wire under the plastic cover that goes over where the strut is bolted down. So with the wire in the engine bay I cleaned up the wire inside the best I could. While it's not that stealthy it is a bit easier to remove if need be. I was in a bit of a rush and I'm going to redo the tape but I used some weatherproof gorilla tape to keep it in place for now.
View attachment 6044

View attachment 6045

I pulled out the rubber seal around the door and ran the wire under that and ran the wire into the dash and out bellow the fuse box where the OBD plug is.

View attachment 6046

After that part was done I went ahead and closed the door and locked my car with the hood open, took my keys inside my office, then waited about 10 min to make sure the computer was asleep. Then I went ahead and plugged in the MAP and TMAP sensor plugs. They were pretty easy to find after I saw what they looked like in real life.
View attachment 6048

Then I had to pick a place to put the actual JB4 box. I wasn't sure where the best place really was and since you can't really secure it easily I decided to put it between the battery box and the air filter box. It's all plastic and doesn't seem to have any really hot parts so I think it's probably the best I could come up with. Not only that but there is a plastic ledge between the 2 boxes so it won't fall out the bottom and it's perfectly tight so that it won't get tossed around.
View attachment 6050

Lastly I cheaped out and went with just the simple USB cable to hook up to my PC. I have a Surface Go so it's small enough to carry around if I want to monitor any live diagnostic stuff but since performance parts are pretty much nonexistent right now and I'm pretty new to this stuff I don't think I'll be doing much fine tuning myself so I just left the cable in the engine bay tucked behind the left headlight. So I can just pop my hood and pull the cable out and run it through the same route as the OBD cable if I need to use it in the car or just change the map/upgrade the firmware and tuck it back.

View attachment 6051

And that's it. I turned the car on(engine off), hooked up the USB to my PC, and it detected it right away! In all it took me about 2 hours but that included going over all my options for running the cable. Once I decided on that part I'd say it took me less than 30 min to get it updated and working. Oh and anyone else that might be installing this the JB4 has 2 black wires that are like pre-stripped and ready to be spliced into the fuel wire. The people at Burger told me that doesn't apply to the 2.0t engine so I just wrapped them up and put some electrical tape over the semi-exposed ends.

So I hope anyone looking for a little guidance on how to install one of these on the Veloster N finds this helpful. Like I said I was a bit worried about doing this for the first time with such little info out there about this specific car but it really wasn't too bad.

For any of you that DO have experience with this stuff let me know if I did anything wrong or if there is something that could have been done better. I'd hate to mess my car up so any criticism or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
What’s your opinion on the JB4 ? How’s it running with the jb4 ? Personal opinions ? And have you noticed any kind of weird flukes or quirks since installing. As I’ve mentioned before I’m strongly considering buying this for my car just waiting for a few more guinea pigs before I jump into it. No offense to anyone lol

What’s your opinion on the JB4 ? How’s it running with the jb4 ? Personal opinions ? And have you noticed any kind of weird flukes or quirks since installing. As I’ve mentioned before I’m strongly considering buying this for my car just waiting for a few more guinea pigs before I jump into it. No offense to anyone lol

I’ve been running JB4 on mine for a couple of months now on a custom map from a fellow user and I haven’t had any problems, the only problem I’ve had is finding an opponent that can actually offer me a challenge

Last edited:
Reactions: LateralGrip
I’ve been running JB4 on mine for a couple of months now on a custom map from a fellow user and I haven’t had any problems, the only problem I’ve had is finding an opponent I can actually beat on the street
Sounds like you need a better tuner if you’re having a problem finding someone you can beat ;) lol jk. But how did it feel with running the factory maps, driveability, economy, etc ?

Sounds like you need a better tuner if you’re having a problem finding someone you can beat ;) lol jk. But how did it feel with running the factory maps, driveability, economy, etc ?

Wow, I didn’t even realize what I wrote. Had to go back and edit my post.

It drives normal until you really push it (as far as I can tell). The custom map that I am running is pushing a max of 21psi and I haven’t had any issues (make sure you change and re-gap your spark plugs). When I’m not in the mood I stick to the default map 0. It’s a huge difference, it really wakes this car up and shows you what true potential it has.

Reactions: Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Yeah I mean I love it. For $500 I certainly can't complain about the gains you get from it. I've had it for almost 2 months now. I feel a pretty noticeable difference especially in acceleration. I run the map 2 from Burger but have been wanting to try a custom map 6 if anyone cares to share theirs with me (wink wink @3DoorMadness ).

I haven't had any issues at all. Everything still works exactly the same as when it was factory stock. Starts up just fine every time, exhaust sounds exactly the same, the pops and bangs are still there, all the modes and adjustable parts still work just fine. I can't find any issues and I've put at least 3k miles on the car with the JB4 running map 2 the whole time. No idea what it's going to do in the long run but so far it's been great and I would certainly buy it again if I had to.

Man, I've been holding back on posting my custom map 6 cause I wanted to be the fastest lmao. Maybe I'll share it with you guys though :p

I still have to do some testing to iron out a few things before I post it though, also keep in mind that I take no responsibility for anything that happens of course. It works well on my car but that doesn't guarantee it will work great for everyone.

JB4 arrived Friday. Spent awhile preparing and started the install Saturday, finishing up yesterday evening.

Did not want to tap into any wires connected directly to the ECM. I eyeballed the connector where the red ECM-side fuel wire is, then saw on the oxygen sensor side that it is the white wire with a black “sheath” in pin #2.

So here’s how I proceeded:
0B5BCE15-0677-4E14-80E3-94D66DFB09F9.jpeg907E9411-E052-4323-B100-91E243D61811.jpeg10C83868-0E2B-40DC-A1EE-4E5CD488BA5B.jpegF7B26C8F-2339-4F2F-A6ED-BB3FD7C578F4.jpeg

Not liking the red connector; I keep the engine lid off, so to me it’s easy to spot. I’ll deal with it later.

I don’t see any module, do you?
2B394273-B2A8-4E32-89B9-94750FDA4002.jpeg

Thanks to @Jigbits and @1FastStagea for answering my install questions via PM.

I’m a traditionalist and also do not trust BT connections where the engine parameters are being modified (indirectly via sensor voltage manipulation), so it’s hardwired.

The JB4 Windows app is a bit messy; already crashed it with an exception, failing to save m6 settings, so I get to reconstruct it again. Good thing I captured the settings after the error occurred.

Last edited: