• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

New Focus ST

Tom Vanlimbergen

Nthusiast
Jan 19, 2018
Today, I saw a new Focus ST line comming by. We (girlfriend also in the car) had to look 2 times to be sure it wasn't an I30n... Looks very similar from a small distance.

Pretty cool to see Ford emulating for a change. The profile looks much more reminiscent of a Mazdaspeed 3 to my eye. Looks good.

Now if Biermann and crew were smart, they’d stop messing around and offer warranty-friendly remapping options like Ford has done for years.

Last edited:
2.3L! it's gonna have some torque for sure.
Looks like a very promising platform... But you can differently see where they got their ideas. E-LSD, rev matching, performance model

But tax-wise a 2.3L would be stupid in Belgium.

Yes, I almost waved at one the other day :oops:

Sadly this type of brand convergence is the result of aerodynamics and ergonomics being designed and optimised by computer.

2.3L! it's gonna have some torque for sure.
Looks like a very promising platform... But you can differently see where they got their ideas. E-LSD, rev matching, performance model

But tax-wise a 2.3L would be stupid in Belgium.
How does the tax thing work man, is it based on cubic capacity over there?

Reactions: jeroenvde
But you can differently see where they got their ideas. E-LSD, rev matching, performance model

They offered a performance model already for the Focus ST MK3. It did include 19" wheels and bigger front brakes

How does the tax thing work man, is it based on cubic capacity over there?

In germany its 2 € (for petrol engines, diesel is more expensive) for every 100cc + a fee based on the co2 emissions per year. So here 300cc more doesnt hurt anyone, instead i'd very much like to have those 420 Nm :p

Regarding price, i'd bet the starting price will be very close to 32500€ (in germany) for the ST2 model.

Reactions: GazmaN
Anyone else think the brakes look a bit small in those wheels?

Also very interested to see what the price is, I somehow doubt they'll be around £28k

It might be around that price but I guess that if you want to match the i30 N standard equipment its going to be a lot more than that.

Didn't realize there was another Focus ST thread so this is a repost from the other one...

This is a sad subject for me since I was 50/50 between an N and an ST.

I sat in a showroom only ST today at a showroom unveiling in Frankfurt and was only semi impressed. Interior build quality is marginally better than an N. The Recaro seats are nice though and the screen is noticeably better. Exterior is truly on point, it is a sharp car!

However, I have a friend in the states with an '18 RS that has nothing but motor issues. Also 3 friends here in Germany with new model year Focuses have also had sever motor issues (yes, I know the new ST has a revamped 2.3 which is different than the range of lower models). I have read a lot of articles about the focus being a great drive but also having quality control issues with engine components.

After seeing the new ST I was pretty disappointed about paying 43,000 Euros (fully loaded) when I can get an N for 30-32,000 Euros and have (generally speaking) the same car.

I have owned 7 Ford's since my 1990 Ranger including an ST and RS and never had a problem. Although I am going to wait for a test drive version before I make my final decision and purchase I would have to say Ford dropped the ball on the ST. I'll keep those interested posted after my test drive and let you know how it felt.

At this point I'm 75/25 for an N.

Regarding the RS’ engine issues: from release until june 2018, Ford mounted the wrong head casket (from the mustang) which led to loose of compression and cooling water going into the cylinders. But by now that issue is solved and since the new ST is basically running the mustang engine and not the RS one, there shouldn’t be a problem.