• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

VelosterN Dealer Markups

Link is in there, just click the price.
I saw that, that's some shit... I am still hopeful that the Hawaii yax doesn't apply.

In fairness the local Hyundai dealership shows a markup on other cars, but discounts them below MSRP. I am okay with paying MSRP on a PP blue N.

I saw that, that's some shit... I am still hopeful that the Hawaii yax doesn't apply.

In fairness the local Hyundai dealership shows a markup on other cars, but discounts them below MSRP. I am okay with paying MSRP on a PP blue N.

I'd pay it too but that combination is dam hard to find now. Hyundai's got some weird expectations if they want 70% of people to buy non PP VNs.

Strange looking at distribution around the states. I see lots of red PP in Pennsylvania and the only thing around me (or stuck in the pipeline) are blue PP (which I don't want) but definitely noticing an unusually high number of N's everywhere without the performance pack

Don't fear the base N, I find myself rationalizing the non PP as a better buy for non track use. More so now that they are easier to find. The I30N PP got a lot more goodies, but for the VN I'm seeing wheels, diff, exhaust, brakes.

I will be putting 18" wheels on whatever I end up with, base N gives me a factory winter set. No sealed lsd with unknown fluid life (this is a stretch, I do want the lsd but). The exhaust is probably similar to the PP sport setting, which is what I would see myself using 95% of the time anyway (I don't want the constant bangs nor do I want it quiet).

It weighs less and should have less drivetrain loss. The final drive ratios seem more evenly spread than whats in the PP, it seems like even though the N isn't a "numbers" car they did really focus the PP's first 2 gears for 0-60, then a noticeable dropoff in 3rd.

Brakes, I'm not really sure. I see slightly bigger rotors and vented rears but any difference in calipers beyond cosmetic?

Outside of track use or extended canyon carving I'm not convinced the base N is the underdog it's made out to be, at least as a fun daily.

Last edited:
Don't fear the base N, I find myself rationalizing the non PP as a better buy for non track use. More so now that they are easier to find. The I30N PP got a lot more goodies, but for the VN I'm seeing wheels, diff, exhaust, brakes.

I will be putting 18" wheels on whatever I end up with, base N gives me a factory winter set. No sealed lsd with unknown fluid life (this is a stretch, I do want the lsd but). The exhaust is probably similar to the PP sport setting, which is what I would see myself using 95% of the time anyway (I don't want the constant bangs nor do I want it quiet).

It weighs less and should have less drivetrain loss. The final drive ratios seem more evenly spread than whats in the PP, it seems like even though the N isn't a "numbers" car they did really focus the PP's first 2 gears for 0-60, then a noticeable dropoff in 3rd.

Brakes, I'm not really sure. I see slightly bigger rotors and vented rears but any difference in calipers beyond cosmetic?

Outside of track use or extended canyon carving I'm not convinced the base N is the underdog it's made out to be, at least as a fun daily.
I autocross, rallycross and do track days (when I amstationed near a track). And a diff makes a huge difference, the loss isn't as high as people make it out to be especially in a fwd car.

Edit:also it's PP or CTR so I am going to be picky

Last edited:
Reactions: 1FastStagea
I've always driven Honda's, the longer my search for the N lasts the more times a ctr occasionally dips down into the 32-33k range and makes me think twice. Just do not like the way it looks, as wonderful as it may be to drive. Not to mention I would guess wear and tear stuff like pads/rotors probably costs 5x as much.

Last edited:
I've always driven Honda's, the longer my search for the N lasts the more times a ctr occasionally dips down into the 32-33k range and makes me think twice. Just do not like the way it looks, as wonderful as it may be to drive. Not to mention I would guess wear and tear stuff like pads/rotors probably costs 5x as much.
It's not much of a difference from my BRZ PP. Still cheaper than my Mustang track pack with it's $200 oil changes

It's not much of a difference from my BRZ PP. Still cheaper than my Mustang track pack with it's $200 oil changes
200$ oil changes :eek: how often did you do them ?

All of your points are extremely good. People are making a fuss about the non PP but you still get the VN with it’s strengthened chassis upgraded gauges the looks the adaptable suspension and a ton of other perks over the regular veloster. I wasn’t a fan of it at first but it kinda leaves you with a blank canvas. You can upgrade it as you see fit or if you chose to leave it stock you still are getting a great car. And It’s still going to be cheaper faster and a better looking car than the competition in most instances.

200$ oil changes :eek: how often did you do them ?

All of your points are extremely good. People are making a fuss about the non PP but you still get the VN with it’s strengthened chassis upgraded gauges the looks the adaptable suspension and a ton of other perks over the regular veloster. I wasn’t a fan of it at first but it kinda leaves you with a blank canvas. You can upgrade it as you see fit or if you chose to leave it stock you still are getting a great car. And It’s still going to be cheaper faster and a better looking car than the competition in most instances.

10k miles

Several dealerships near me added "$5,000 Market Adjustment" and addendum to the VN, asking as much as $38k for VN with PP. Some of them even refused to accept the Hyundai Circle Pricing.

I still got mine for the employee pricing though.
Some dealers suck. Period.

Several dealerships near me added "$5,000 Market Adjustment" and addendum to the VN, asking as much as $38k for VN with PP. Some of them even refused to accept the Hyundai Circle Pricing.

I still got mine for the employee pricing though.
Some dealers suck. Period.
My work was pretty PO when I asked for circle plan but in the end they gave it to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see they even offered it on the N :D. That left over money is what bought the snow tires I’m running now !

My work was pretty PO when I asked for circle plan but in the end they gave it to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see they even offered it on the N :D. That left over money is what bought the snow tires I’m running now !
I went to the Ft Myers FL Hyundai dealer today. They had a red non PP in the showroom. I think Hyundai has a winner, really nice. That said - $4,000. VIP markup. Whatever that is. I looked @ my Dog & said back to the Jeep Frankie.

Chiming in here from the west coast (Oregon, not CA). 5 just finally arrived in Portland at various dealers this weekend and I picked one up for $100 below MSRP, not much below but it's not over! So, it must be a California thing. Not that some of these dealers won't try to gouge, but yeah. I also don't think there is as much of a market here for sportier cars as in Cali. Everyone just buys Subaru (me included lol)

Reactions: Cygnus X-1
We (in Australia) have a number of car search places (I used 2, went with a family contact in the end) that seek out the best price on cars you want to buy, organise test drives and arrange for it to be delivered to your home so you never directly deal with the dealer/salesperson. If you don't already have such a service...now's the time to start one up as a side hustle!

I did find out that Hyundai owns all the stock of N's in Australia and dealers place an order against them once they get a confirmed buyer. Your system of having dealers with set stock allocations seems odd and counter productive.

Oh and another good thing, we only get the Performance version because car makers have come to understand that Aussies will always go out of our way to get the fastest/one with the most goodies, therefore it's in their best interests to give us the best to start with :)