• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Preparing for a trackday

EssEll

Nthusiast
Nov 12, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi all, can I first admit my lack of knowledge!! Never done a trackday before, and owned amazingly slow cars before the i30 N (Kia Rio 1.25 was the next fastest car!), so no real experience to speak of with when to change brake pads etc on a performance car.

I have my first trackday booked for end of Jan at Bedford autodrome (insurance sorted too with Moris).

The car has done 6300 miles.

What practically have you done to prepare the car for your trackday? Eg how did you check your brake pads? Did a garage do it? How much was it... Which other fluids did you check? Oh yes... I am a noob haha!

All advice greatly appreciated - thank you!

Steve

Reactions: GazmaN and AFRocks
Check the oil, let a little air out the tyres if your doing lots of laps.

Build up the speed slowly. It’s not race, it’s not free to repair it.

Build confidence in your and the cars abilities.

I insure it for a track day, you pay for damage to your car however and whoever caused it. I use Morris too.

Tyres won’t take an absolute kicking unless your a psycho!

If it’s gets busy on track, pit and go back out.

Enjoy it, dont race anyone, do your own thing.

My first sighting laps at Rockingham I thought I cannot do this its too fast, by the end of the day I was going waaaaaay faster.

That's awesome advice, thank you!

I'm looking forward to it a lot. Great tips - appreciated!

Steve

Check the oil, let a little air out the tyres if your doing lots of laps.

Build up the speed slowly. It’s not race, it’s not free to repair it.

Build confidence in your and the cars abilities.

I insure it for a track day, you pay for damage to your car however and whoever caused it. I use Morris too.

Tyres won’t take an absolute kicking unless your a psycho!

If it’s gets busy on track, pit and go back out.

Enjoy it, dont race anyone, do your own thing.

My first sighting laps at Rockingham I thought I cannot do this its too fast, by the end of the day I was going waaaaaay faster.

Reactions: Stash-N and GazmaN
As above all good advise, just keep it simple and enjoy.
I'd use the in lap as a warm down lap taking it easy staying out of the way and keep in your mirrors.
If there is any free tuition available on the day then ask if they will give you a few pointers and run in your car with you.
As stated don't use the handbrake in paddock, I use a couple of wedges front/back to stop any.

Make sure you carry oil and any fluids etc and a small tool kit, keep an eye on the wheel nuts and if you have one keep a torque wrench with you for them.
I also carry a small pop up tent to keep my gear in , depends on weather and a ground sheet.

Cheers

Russ...

Thanks Russ, really helpful!

When you mentioned fluids, which other than oil would you suggest?

Best

Steve

As above all good advise, just keep it simple and enjoy.
I'd use the in lap as a warm down lap taking it easy staying out of the way and keep in your mirrors.
If there is any free tuition available on the day then ask if they will give you a few pointers and run in your car with you.
As stated don't use the handbrake in paddock, I use a couple of wedges front/back to stop any.

Make sure you carry oil and any fluids etc and a small tool kit, keep an eye on the wheel nuts and if you have one keep a torque wrench with you for them.
I also carry a small pop up tent to keep my gear in , depends on weather and a ground sheet.

Cheers

Russ...
I'd take the rear seats out, makes a bit of difference that is noticeable !

Reactions: GazmaN and Stash-N
I'd just have a litre of brake fluid and antifreeze top up for cooling system , not sure what they use in the i30n.
You probably won't need them and plenty of windscreen washer fluid if your doing Bedford in Jan lol,
There will be plenty of other people to help when your there.

Hope you enjoy it, you'll be hooked once you've done the day:)

Cheers

Russ....

Perfect, thanks so much!

Haha yeah suspect I will be hooked. I've done - and loved - go karting and driven a lot in VR... suspect this will beat those!

Best

Steve

I'd just have a litre of brake fluid and antifreeze top up for cooling system , not sure what they use in the i30n.
You probably won't need them and plenty of windscreen washer fluid if your doing Bedford in Jan lol,
There will be plenty of other people to help when your there.

Hope you enjoy it, you'll be hooked once you've done the day:)

Cheers

Russ....

Things to consider.
Fuel, where is the closest? On track pumps are massively expensive and only doctors can afford it.
Tyres, how are you going to check and adjust pressures?
Oil, is it full? Do you have a top up with you?
Screen wash, yes you’ll need some to go home with.
Food/drink, yes you’ll want more than a tin of energy drink.
Base camp, you need to put all your shit somewhere, it’s no fun having a car full of kit.

Hi DxRazor, that is incredibly helpful, thank you. I hadn't thought so much about those bits..! But all makes perfect sense.

Cheers!

Steve

Things to consider.
Fuel, where is the closest? On track pumps are massively expensive and only doctors can afford it.
Tyres, how are you going to check and adjust pressures?
Oil, is it full? Do you have a top up with you?
Screen wash, yes you’ll need some to go home with.
Food/drink, yes you’ll want more than a tin of energy drink.
Base camp, you need to put all your shit somewhere, it’s no fun having a car full of kit.

Thanks for that, Haha thrashing it sounds fun!! Have an instructor booked though :)

It’s worth considering an instructor session if it’s your first time on track. It’ll stop you getting into any bad habits and they just help you focus on the right technique and line. Simply thrashing around is just as fun mind

For me I'd say oil change is necessary too. Depending on your mileage before the trackday etc Its good insurance to have some fresh oil in the engine and change it after the trackday.

All the other suggestions around tyre pressures being checked and having a tyre inflator with you, make sure you know the nearest petrol pump is off site, general fluids like bit of brake fluid and washer fluid is handy.
Jack and torque wrench to check wheel nut torques along with getting a wheel off if needed. Etc

...or you could have one of these with you for peace of mind..

View attachment 4558
And one of these ;)
51YDGQ0CQYL._SY355_.jpg