• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Warranty Issues

southGeo

Nthusiast
May 9, 2018
Wimborne
Hi All,

Sent my car in for it's first service yesterday and was promptly given a little i10 as a courtesy car for the day. A little miffed, but that's all they had and there was someone else dropping a Tucson off that also got an i10, so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much.

However, I mentioned an issue with 6th gear (sometimes feels blocked) and sure enough they need to replace some parts which are on back order. No ETA at the moment, so possibly going on till next week at least. As the i10 is a dealer car, they want it back and have arrange for a hire car in it's place. I think this part is done by Hyundai. The category of car (from Thrifty) is in what appers to be the most basic category (but I've not yet picked it up, have to go there later today).

Now to me, I don't feel like this is sufficient. Whilst I'm not expecting another performance car (I totally understand Thrifty are not going to keep things like this in stock) but I don't think I should be shunted with such a basic model of car whilst I'm without mine.

So I've complained to the dealer, who sent me straight to Hyundai. They fully understood my concern that I'm most likely going to end up with a far lesser can than I have today but they said there was nothing Thrifty could do, and that the main priority is getting me "mobile" with another car.

Anyone else had any experience here?

Out of curiosity, does it say in the warranty terms and conditions if they have to do work on your car what or if they provide you with a courtesy car? Not arguing, just wondering. If they say that they will, I suspect they'll say it's whatever we give you. It's rubbish, but I don't think there's a lot you can do.

Reactions: DxRazor and Stash-N
I agree with Speedking and Emma. However, if you have the car on finance/lease then it might be worth speaking to the finance company. My previous lease car ate the turbo and my leasing company refunded all of the payments whilst I was without the car so that I wasn't paying my full amount for the dealers courtesy car, it still doesn't get you a decent car but at least you're not paying for it.

Reactions: Stash-N and _Emma
Clue could be in the name ‘courtesy car’

I doubt there is any legal basis to provide one, they do it out of courtesy only.

Anything in this area is goodwill and customer service, not legal.
Anything concrete against this please share!!

Clue could be in the name ‘courtesy car’

I doubt there is any legal basis to provide one, they do it out of courtesy only.

Anything in this area is goodwill and customer service, not legal.
Anything concrete against this please share!!

That was my guess. I haven’t been offered one when mine’s been in, although I was offered a lift to work that didn’t materialise!

When Honda had my Type R for 7 weeks (new wire loom) a couple years ago they arranged a hire car, funnily enough an i30 15 plate, slow but adequate.
I did not expect Hertz to have a 310bhp hire car, in these situations you get what your given I suppose.

Thanks everyone, was just wondering what the deal generally was with Hyundai. Audi in the past have been brilliant with actual like-for-like or better. Again to clarify I wasnt expecting a hot hatch or anything but driving a little i10 around was a little depressing :)

They've given me a Tucson for now, still not ETA on how long mine is going to take but I'm happy enough with this for the time being.

Hope you get your baby back soon @southGeo. I just checked out some pics of the i10 (which we don't get here) out of curiosity. Oh dear, what a monstrosity. I hope you wrung its scrawny little neck and it is now dead. Good work on scoring upgrade ;)

Hope you get your baby back soon @southGeo. I just checked out some pics of the i10 (which we don't get here) out of curiosity. Oh dear, what a monstrosity. I hope you wrung its scrawny little neck and it is now dead. Good work on scoring upgrade ;)
Yeah I really miss it, the i10 was stupidly slow and the Tucson is abit of a tank. The first drive in the i30n is going to be super enjoyable when it comes back!

Reactions: DxRazor and GazmaN
So I had a call today as the dealers customer service who assumed I had the car back after a simple service.

Oh how I laughed :rolleyes:

They've chased for an update and basically offered nothing for timelines other than again stating it is on back order and are unwilling to even estimate how long it could take worst case. I appreciate they might not have gear parts for an 'N' sitting around, but not even being able to provide a rough time frame is surely not reasonable? :mad:

So I had a call today as the dealers customer service who assumed I had the car back after a simple service.

Oh how I laughed :rolleyes:

They've chased for an update and basically offered nothing for timelines other than again stating it is on back order and are unwilling to even estimate how long it could take worst case. I appreciate they might not have gear parts for an 'N' sitting around, but not even being able to provide a rough time frame is surely not reasonable? :mad:
You are right, I would NOT be best pleased. Hoping you'll be back on the road for Xmas.

Thanks everyone, was just wondering what the deal generally was with Hyundai. Audi in the past have been brilliant with actual like-for-like or better. Again to clarify I wasnt expecting a hot hatch or anything but driving a little i10 around was a little depressing :)

They've given me a Tucson for now, still not ETA on how long mine is going to take but I'm happy enough with this for the time being.

Audi and Lexus out here always give you a "better" car than yours. Sadly it is not because they are great guys. They are tempting you with a better car, then they tell you your car will need $5k worth of work, so lets sit down and work out a deal where you never have to see that horrible old car again! And, the average service costs for the Lexus is $1,000, not $299 like the Hyundai, They can afford to give you a loan car,

I need a loan car when my car is serviced, and my first dealer told me they are under NO obligation to provide a loan car, it is a "courtesy" but ONLY if available. Gone... My current dealer happily provides a loan car, but I have to book at least 4 weeks in advance to make sure one is allotted to me.

I could not give a rat's arse if it is a basic model or the best in their fleet, as long as it is free, and works.

I guess if it was in for warranty repair, they should try and look after you, but let's face it, there are NO N courtesy cars, and everything in the Hyundai range is going to be slower and worse than what you own...

Audi and Lexus out here always give you a "better" car than yours. Sadly it is not because they are great guys. They are tempting you with a better car, then they tell you your car will need $5k worth of work, so lets sit down and work out a deal where you never have to see that horrible old car again! And, the average service costs for the Lexus is $1,000, not $299 like the Hyundai, They can afford to give you a loan car,

I need a loan car when my car is serviced, and my first dealer told me they are under NO obligation to provide a loan car, it is a "courtesy" but ONLY if available. Gone... My current dealer happily provides a loan car, but I have to book at least 4 weeks in advance to make sure one is allotted to me.

I could not give a rat's arse if it is a basic model or the best in their fleet, as long as it is free, and works.

I guess if it was in for warranty repair, they should try and look after you, but let's face it, there are NO N courtesy cars, and everything in the Hyundai range is going to be slower and worse than what you own...
Yeah that's fair, again, wasn't expecting another N.

Still waiting for mine to come back, nearly a month now :(

OK, so this is taking another turn. Part finally arrived just after Christmas and they went to fit (being cagey with me exactly what it is, but a damaged synchro essentially is what I understand).

Then I get a mail from them after chasing that yes it's arrived and fitted, but now they've discovered the oil seal is broken on the gearbox seal and they need to order that in. Provisional date for that to be received of the 21st January.

That'll be a week shy of 2 months without the car :mad:

Should this second part of been inspected initially do we think? Almost feel's like someone has damaged it on stripping maybe?

OK, so this is taking another turn. Part finally arrived just after Christmas and they went to fit (being cagey with me exactly what it is, but a damaged synchro essentially is what I understand).

Then I get a mail from them after chasing that yes it's arrived and fitted, but now they've discovered the oil seal is broken on the gearbox seal and they need to order that in. Provisional date for that to be received of the 21st January.

Should this second part of been inspected initially do we think? Almost feel's like someone has damaged it on stripping maybe?

Hi mate! Same issue here. I've been without my i30N for 52 days now. The service I have received is so poor in terms of communication man. I'm in the process of gathering all the information I need to take it further...

Hi mate! Same issue here. I've been without my i30N for 52 days now. The service I have received is so poor in terms of communication man. I'm in the process of gathering all the information I need to take it further...

52 days?!? :eek:

did you get it back by now i hope? two months is bloody ridiculous I would've gone ape if it was taking that long. you deserve a medal for your patience!