• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How To: LED Rear Indicators

Eternity

Feb 3, 2018
So today I got the LED PY21W (offset pin) bulbs I have been waiting for so I have put together a little guide of what to buy and how to fit them.
The bulbs are from www.classiccarbulbs.co.uk. They are advertised as no resistor needed and no hyper flash. I can confirm they work perfectly, no change in flash speed or errors on the dash. Well work the money. They also get rid of the fried egg look in the rear cluster.
Here are the bulbs.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pr...icator-bulbsno-hyperflash-bau15s-py21w-glb581

1.jpg
This is the standard bulb in the cluster compared to the LED one. Look much cleaner.
5.jpg

6.jpg

So here is how to fit them.

1. Locate the 2 plastic circle shaped flaps inside each tail light. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to push into the flat part at the top of the circle to release them. They will flip down on the hinge at the bottom.

2. You will see 2 cross head screws. undo both of these.

2.jpg

3. After undoing the 2 screws the unit will remain in place. It is being held by 2 pins that slide into rubbers on the body. Be brave and pull the light unit towards you giving it wiggles at the same time. It will come out straight directly towards you. You can see the pins in the picture below.

3.jpg
4. Next step is simple. Twist the bottom bulb holder according to the directions stamped on it to release the bulb in the holder. gently push and twist the bulb to remove it from the holder and replace with the LED in the opposite way

4.jpg

After this you are done! put it back together! I would advise that you push the light unit back in place without the screws in place and check the bulb works as it should before doing up the screws and pushing the caps back in to place.

Hope this helps. Will be doing an interior bulb swap guide soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
So today I got the LED PY21W (offset pin) bulbs I have been waiting for so I have put together a little guide of what to buy and how to fit them.
The bulbs are from www.classiccarbulbs.co.uk. They are advertised as no resistor needed and no hyper flash. I can confirm they work perfectly, no change in flash speed or errors on the dash. Well work the money. They also get rid of the fried egg look in the rear cluster.
Here are the bulbs.
View attachment 142
This is the standard bulb in the cluster compared to the LED one. Look much cleaner.
View attachment 141

View attachment 143

So here is how to fit them.

1. Locate the 2 plastic circle shaped flaps inside each tail light. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to push into the flat part at the top of the circle to release them. They will flip down on the hinge at the bottom.

2. You will see 2 cross head screws. undo both of these.

View attachment 144

3. After undoing the 2 screws the unit will remain in place. It is being held by 2 pins that slide into rubbers on the body. Be brave and pull the light unit towards you giving it wiggles at the same time. It will come out straight directly towards you. You can see the pins in the picture below.

View attachment 145
4. Next step is simple. Twist the bottom bulb holder according to the directions stamped on it to release the bulb in the holder. gently push and twist the bulb to remove it from the holder and replace with the LED in the opposite way

View attachment 146

After this you are done! put it back together! I would advise that you push the light unit back in place without the screws in place and check the bulb works as it should before doing up the screws and pushing the caps back in to place.

Hope this helps. Will be doing an interior bulb swap guide soon.

Excellent guide! Once we have the tutorials section we can have this in there.

Much appreciated! I’m off to order some myself now! Haha.

Reactions: Eternity
Will do a couple of things I'm going to do. Might do one on hardwiring a dash cam as well the the interior lights.
When the weather improves I might pop the rear door cards off and see how easy it will be to put some better speakers in the rear doors too.

Will do a couple of things I'm going to do. Might do one on hardwiring a dash cam as well the the interior lights.
When the weather improves I might pop the rear door cards off and see how easy it will be to put some better speakers in the rear doors too.

Do you have a link to the bulbs as I can’t find the ones you posted!

I’ve got a dash cam to wire in to mine also.

You’ll probably beat me to that!

Reactions: Eternity
Beat me to it. Yes its www.classiccarleds.co.uk.
Glad the guide is helpful, will do the dash cam tomorrow if it stops raining for 5 minutes. First thing I've seen that needs working around is the curtain airbag thats in the A pillar so routing the cable will need to be done very carefully.

Reactions: paul-h