• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Guide: Inspect a new car on delivery day.

Maverick

Staff member
Nthusiast
May 10, 2018
Germany
It is important to be a little proactive and put in some extra effort on delivery day to ensure that you get your dream car in good condition.
Here are few tips which could save you from landing up with a vehicle with problems or defects:

1. Be cheerful and act in a warm and friendly way with the staff!
2. Be patient. Minor delays are sometimes unavoidable.
3. Take a complete demonstration from the salesman. You should be aware of all functions before you inspect the car (despite the fact that if you're reading this you may already know more than all the stuff combined).
4. Take your time to inspect. Buying a car is an investment and giving it due time is expected (it would be better to take a friend or a mechanic to do this with you and check the car in the morning in broad daylight).
5. Inspect the bodywork. Ensure you do it in daylight and in open space. Take your time and note down the smallest of imperfections. It is very difficult to justify scratches and minor dents to staff at later stage. Check all seams, panel gap consistencies, and door line match to acceptable standards. Check underneath the car, all doors, hood, boot that they open and shut properly and that all rubber linings are soft and in place.
6. Open the bonnet. Check fluid levels and engine compartment cleanliness.
7. Confirm that all tires are new (usually a new tire would have coloured stripes which wear off once tire is used for some time).
8. Check the windshields for any cracks, scratches or spots that may be difficult to remove later. Check wiper operations. Check and operate all windows.
9. Check the interior of the car. Especially look out for any kind of soiling of seats, upholstery and carpets. Make sure every kind of cloth or leather is intact.
10. Turn on the ignition and crank the engine. Ensure that no warning lights are flashing on the instrument cluster. Lookout for any weird sound from the engine compartment (it is advisable to step out of the car and inspect the sound).
11. Note the mileage. Usually, anything below 50 km (31 miles) is acceptable.
12. Turn on the air-conditioning/heating. Ensure it provides you with sufficient cooling/heating.
13. Try to operate and test all the bells and whistles that may have come with your car.
14. Switch on the headlights, fog lamps and parking lights. Confirm that they operate properly. Ensure that headlights focus properly and that they are correctly aligned and not too high/low.
15. Check the sound system. You could take a USB stick with a couple of songs to test the sound system.
16. If you have asked for additional accessories, like sound upgrades, floor mats etc, ensure that they are in place, correctly installed and working properly.
17. If you find anything not up to your standards during inspection, simply take note and share it with the staff. Your aim should be to rectify any faults and not to create any unpleasant scene during what should essentially be a pleasant occasion for you.
18. Get all possible information regarding service schedules and good driving etiquette.
19. Ensure you are provided with all relevant documents like Insurance and cay registration before taking final delivery. Keep all papers amd service documents in a folder. They go wherever the car goes.
20. On your way out, put your seatbelt on, switch off the music system and put the air-conditioning on low speed so that you can listen to any abnormality. Shift into gears. Ensure that they slot properly and vehicle has decent acceleration. Look for any abnormal sounds from engine or suspension system. On a straight bit of road, check that the steering wheel is properly aligned and there are no rattles, noise, or any kind of vibration. Also, ensure one more time that headlights focus properly and that they are correctly aligned and not too high/low.
21. After a short period of time, park the car, step out and open the hood. Check for any fluid leaks that may have popped up (preferably stay close to the dealership just in case).
22. If you think something is wrong head straight back to the dealership and explain in a calm and descriptive way what you think the problem is. If nothing is wrong, drive home, park the car, grab a beer, plan your first drive and enjoy.

"The convenience opening/closing of windows (key fob) is a feature that is enabled during pre-delivery inspection of the vehicle; For whatever reason some technicians that carry out this pre-delivery inspection do not enable this feature." -@mackenziejackson
So I would suggest politely suggesting that they make sure that it is enabled, and checking if it works as intended on delivery day.

Thanks to BadShadd (his idea!!) and the rest of the members contributing with their questions, suggestions, problems and solutions. :)
maybe a sticky thread of 'What do I need to know / check out on pick up day'? Just a thought

Last edited:
Whoever thinks this is a good idea please make any suggestions if you think something should go on that list or off it etc. And if they mods think this is a good idea, they could stick it up their.. top of the forums! :p:D

Reactions: Stash-N
It is important to be a little proactive and put in some extra effort on delivery day to ensure that you get your dream car in good condition.
Here are few tips which could save you from landing up with a vehicle with problems or defects:

1. Be cheerful and act in a warm and friendly way with the staff!
2. Be patient. Minor delays are sometimes unavoidable.
3. Take a complete demonstration from the salesman. You should be aware of all functions before you inspect the car (despite the fact that if you're reading this you may already know more than all the stuff combined).
4. Take your time to inspect. Buying a car is an investment and giving it due time is expected (it would be better to take a friend or a mechanic to do this with you and check the car in the morning in broad daylight).
5. Inspect the bodywork. Ensure you do it in daylight and in open space. Take your time and note down the smallest of imperfections. It is very difficult to justify scratches and minor dents to staff at later stage. Check all seams, panel gap consistencies, and door line match to acceptable standards. Check all doors, hood, & boot that they open and shut properly and that all rubber linings are soft and in place.
7. Open the bonnet. Check fluid levels and engine compartment cleanliness.
8. Confirm that all tires are new (usually a new tire would have coloured stripes which wear off once tire is used for some time).
9. Check the windshields for any cracks, scratches or spots that may be difficult to remove later. Check wiper operations. Check and operate all windows.
10. Check the interior of the car. Especially look out for any kind of soiling of seats, upholstery and carpets. Make sure every kind of cloth or leather is intact.
11. Turn on the ignition and crank the engine. Ensure that no warning lights are flashing on the instrument cluster. Lookout for any weird sound from the engine compartment (it is advisable to step out of the car and inspect the sound).
12. Note the mileage. Usually, anything below 50 km (31 miles) is acceptable.
13. Turn on the air-conditioning/heating. Ensure it provides you with sufficient cooling/heating.
14. Try to operate and test all the bells and whistles that may have come with your car.
15. Switch on the headlights, fog lamps and parking lights. Confirm that they operate properly. Ensure that headlights focus properly and that they are correctly aligned and not too high/low.
16. Check the sound system. You could take a USB stick with a couple of songs to test the sound system.
17. If you have asked for additional accessories, like sound upgrades, floor mats etc, ensure that they are in place, correctly installed and working properly.
18. If you find anything not up to your standards during inspection, simply take note and share it with the staff. Your aim should be to rectify any faults and not to create any unpleasant scene during what should essentially be a pleasant occasion for you.
19. Get all possible information regarding service schedules and good driving etiquette.
20. Ensure you are provided with all relevant documents like Insurance and cay registration before taking final delivery.
21. On your way out, put your seatbelt on, switch off the music system and put the air-conditioning on low speed so that you can listen to any abnormality. Shift into gears. Ensure that they slot properly and vehicle has decent acceleration. Look for any abnormal sounds from engine or suspension system. On a straight bit of road, check that the steering wheel is properly aligned and there are no rattles, noise, or any kind of vibration. Also, ensure one more time that headlights focus properly and that they are correctly aligned and not too high/low.
22. After a short period of time, park the car, step out and open the hood. Check for any fluid leaks that may have popped up (preferably stay close to the dealership just in case).
23. If you think something is wrong head straight back to the dealership and explain in a calm and descriptive way what you think the problem is. If nothing is wrong, drive home, park the car, grab a beer, plan your first drive and enjoy.

Thanks to BadShadd (his idea!!) and the rest of the members contributing with their questions, suggestions, problems and solutions. :)
Great post and a brilliant list for those of us yet to pick up our vehicles. Again great work.

9. Check the windshields for any cracks, scratches or spots that may be difficult to remove later. Check wiper operations. Check and operate all windows.
Great list - the only flaw my son found at our N pickup was a 3" / 10 cm scratch in the middle of the back window. No issues - problem noted, part ordered & replaced 3 weeks later at no cost.

Good job indeed!
I believe however some points should go to the top of this list (but not before being friendly;)) as high priority.
Checking for damage, scratches etc. stuff that you might have a hard time getting done under warranty at a later time.
Things they might question if they delivered the car like that, or has that happened after you picked it up.

I would add email them to confirm any issues when you get home...this may well be my saving grace for the issues I've now got, I've got hard copies where I've informed them.

Don't forget to look UNDERNEATH the car. Especially the front where speed bump damage could be missed.

And don't arrange anything else for the day, as I unfortunately did, and ended up stressing out, due to delays and hurrying out to my appointment.
If I hadn't had that I could have had a more pleasant first journey. :(

Very good description! Thank you for that.
this is my first new car so I don't know what to expect that day.

Reactions: Maverick
I would say remove 13, 15 and 16. It's impossible to do a rigorous thorough check at handover, and all those things are covered under warranty if any faults show up at a later date. IMHO.

I would say remove 13, 15 and 16. It's impossible to do a rigorous thorough check at handover, and all those things are covered under warranty if any faults show up at a later date. IMHO.
Actually, most of those are done during the demonstration that should the sales manager do for you. I thought I'd mention whatever I could think of that makes sense, so people can pay attention the appropriate time and make sure that everything just works. On my i30 for example, I had to turn back to the dealership, as my headlights for some reason where completely dipped, couldn't see anything.

Some of this seems a bit over the top and I'm not sure many dealers would be too happy with you doing all this. How are you going to check under the car properly without putting it on a ramp and how are you going to check the headlights are aligned properly especially if you are collecting the car in daylight?

Some of this seems a bit over the top and I'm not sure many dealers would be too happy with you doing all this. How are you going to check under the car properly without putting it on a ramp and how are you going to check the headlights are aligned properly especially if you are collecting the car in daylight?
Well, I don't care what they think, they just want to sell it and be done with it. I'm the one giving 32.000 of my warm cash to them. ;)
As for the headlights, obviously you won't be able to do it in daylight. But you can read the correct distances in the manual, and control in a parking garage nearby.
This is purely informative. You don't have to do any of this if you don't want to. You can skip half of it. As said earlier, most of this can easily be done while asking questions, during the demonstration, etc. Most of the points were covered by the salesman already when I received my previous car. All you have to do is open your eyes really and pay attention. :)

I wish I had looked under the front lip of mine before I drove off, as since then, I found damage under the splitter that's obviously from speed bump or kerb damage. I've driven round the bumps I do on a regular basis and they're all fine. I think i would have been aware of hearing a scraping sound from under the front of the car if it was me, however, I can't prove it was like that , because i didn't check. :(

My car was and ex-demo, and I would advise anybody buying one, ex-demo or not, to check thoroughly. The angle of ramps as the car comes off the transporter could be an issue if the lorry is parked on an incline, for example.

I'm with others here, do it at the garage. Even with faults I highlighted at the garage and subsequently I'm now being ghosted by the dealer and Hyundai customer service and nobody is answering me even with warranty issues. Get it in writing as well, it'll save a lot of aggro in the long run.

I would add email them to confirm any issues when you get home...this may well be my saving grace for the issues I've now got, I've got hard copies where I've informed them.

I agree , one thing i can say, since working in sales . Always ask for a copy ( Hard copy, email) of all work done on your car when the fault is fixed.
Its is sad to say in any sales type of business, it can be super hard to prove anything without that magic document.