• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

1000 mile update and fuel consumption

Scottukl

Nthusiast
Dec 29, 2017
Just finished a round trip from Sussex to Sheffield which took me over the 1000 mile mark - I've been very good keeping the revs down until then so I can have fun now - when it eventually stops raining!

I had 2 passengers and a boot full of bags so I put the car in ECO mode and drove nice and gently for over 400 miles, mostly crusing at 70mph. I managed 38 mpg and with some country lanes on the way back, the average came out at 35 mpg which is OK but well off the claimed figures. I average 24 on my commute too so it's definitely a lot thirstier than I expected.

Luckily I'm not too bothered about that and it's still a few MPG better than my old Subaru. In every other respect, the car is brilliant. It's a very smooth, quiet cruiser and really refined in ECO and NORMAL mode. The grip in the wet is also very good despite lots of standing water, the tyres seem really well suited to this car - it easily puts the power down and I can't wait to test them properly on a dry twisty road.

The most impressive thing is how well it pulls from low revs. My Subaru was dead below 3,000rpm but this pulls so well in 6th from 50mph when you leave the average speed zones - it's a really flexible torque band which is useful.

I love the way it comes alive when you press the N button and I usually drive it in CUSTOM mode with the suspension set to normal and traction fully on but everything else turned up to max which is how I like it. Don't think I'll ever get tired of the exhaust note and pops!

The only minor niggles are the annoying autonomous braking thingy which keeps saying it won't work in poor light or rain - so all the time! You also have to slam the doors and boot to close them which catches everyone out every time.

Everything else is spot on and the controls and in car gadgets / sat nav / stereo are all excellent. So happy with the car it was definitely the right choice. Just needs a good clean to make it white again!
Weekend weather forecast is better so I'll be attacking the country lanes near me for some fun :)

Attachments

• IMG_0716.jpg
    IMG_0716.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 78
Absolutely great to hear!

Can you tell me the fuel tank capacity - on average how many miles are you finding you’re getting from full?

It's a 50 litre tank and I get 300 miles approx so far from a tank I think, rising to a predicted 400 on the tip computer if it's a gentle cruise.

Reactions: Danscfc
Same, that's about what I got from the Subaru so it's definitely going to save me money before you even factor in the tax and insurance which are way cheaper too!

Reactions: Crocoman
i do 22.4 miles each way to and from work everyday and currently in my accent do a tank about a week and that has the same size tank. Am hoping the N will be about the same maybe better if i drive it normally but am expecting it to be a bit more juicy

Just finished a round trip from Sussex to Sheffield which took me over the 1000 mile mark - I've been very good keeping the revs down until then so I can have fun now - when it eventually stops raining!

I had 2 passengers and a boot full of bags so I put the car in ECO mode and drove nice and gently for over 400 miles, mostly crusing at 70mph. I managed 38 mpg and with some country lanes on the way back, the average came out at 35 mpg which is OK but well off the claimed figures. I average 24 on my commute too so it's definitely a lot thirstier than I expected.

Luckily I'm not too bothered about that and it's still a few MPG better than my old Subaru. In every other respect, the car is brilliant. It's a very smooth, quiet cruiser and really refined in ECO and NORMAL mode. The grip in the wet is also very good despite lots of standing water, the tyres seem really well suited to this car - it easily puts the power down and I can't wait to test them properly on a dry twisty road.

The most impressive thing is how well it pulls from low revs. My Subaru was dead below 3,000rpm but this pulls so well in 6th from 50mph when you leave the average speed zones - it's a really flexible torque band which is useful.

I love the way it comes alive when you press the N button and I usually drive it in CUSTOM mode with the suspension set to normal and traction fully on but everything else turned up to max which is how I like it. Don't think I'll ever get tired of the exhaust note and pops!

The only minor niggles are the annoying autonomous braking thingy which keeps saying it won't work in poor light or rain - so all the time! You also have to slam the doors and boot to close them which catches everyone out every time.

Everything else is spot on and the controls and in car gadgets / sat nav / stereo are all excellent. So happy with the car it was definitely the right choice. Just needs a good clean to make it white again!
Weekend weather forecast is better so I'll be attacking the country lanes near me for some fun :)
The claimed overall is 39.8 which nobody in the real world is going to get. I'm 63 and drive a lot more economically than most and am averaging around 33mpg so don't beat yourself up, many on here would kill for our consumption though they will say we are not driving the car right ha! ha!

I get about 35mpg out of a tank as i cruise to work and back. I knew it would be bad but not as bad as it is but its tough now lol

I am getting just over 300 miles to a tank normally just a shame my office moved further away a week after i collected the car lol

I get about 35mpg out of a tank as i cruise to work and back. I knew it would be bad but not as bad as it is but its tough now lol

I am getting just over 300 miles to a tank normally just a shame my office moved further away a week after i collected the car lol
Do you really think 35mpg is bad? when I started driving (a long time ago) 35mpg from a 2L engine would have been the realms of fantasy, shows how far we have come that a car that can do 0 to 60 in 6 secs and 155mph can achieve it. My 1.4L Renault 5 turbo would do 28mpg if I was driving like mother Theresa so things are not as bad as made out, and the fuel consumption figures published are very unrealistic in the real world.

I get about 34mpg to work if I don't play and I think that's brilliant! I had a Focus ST before this with nearly 350bhp and got 19mpg so I'm loving this lol

Reactions: pillred
I get about 34mpg to work if I don't play and I think that's brilliant! I had a Focus ST before this with nearly 350bhp and got 19mpg so I'm loving this lol
Blimey 350bhp bet that was a riot, what had you done to it and are you thinking of Ahem improving your current car?

Mate it was an absolute beast. I had everything it had a update intercooler, CAIS, full turbo back exhaust with no cats. Stage 2 software, uprated throttle body it was my baby.

It made the most amazing noise ever. Divorce meant I had to get rid or id of kept her my whole life!

Current car will be modified yes but nothing as highly strung as that I don't think.

Reactions: pillred
Going to/off work and not give a good stretch, at some point, is, for me, pointless driving. Nobody can buy this car and hope for good/reasonable figures, you will hurt the car and yourselves in the process, just buy a Polo 1.4 tdi and you'll be happy. I have tried the game "lets see how good fuel consumption i can get" and it was beyond boredom, a pain in the A** everyday for a month (trial period i gave) even pushed the ECO MODE!!!!!!!! HOW MAD IS IT?
Obviously it makes difference on the fuel consumption the way you drive, Mode you are on, commute itself, traffic, but the € i'm saving just to be another guy that goes to work with a long face and a silent car.... not worth at all, I'd rather be smiling and listening to the exhaust poping and banging first thing in the morning, makes a lot of a difference on my day specially when i know 9 hours later i'll be driving again.
It's my take on this fuel consumption matter. Being a slave of my car, not a happy thought.

Going to/off work and not give a good stretch, at some point, is, for me, pointless driving. Nobody can buy this car and hope for good/reasonable figures, you will hurt the car and yourselves in the process, just buy a Polo 1.4 tdi and you'll be happy. I have tried the game "lets see how good fuel consumption i can get" and it was beyond boredom, a pain in the A** everyday for a month (trial period i gave) even pushed the ECO MODE!!!!!!!! HOW MAD IS IT?
Obviously it makes difference on the fuel consumption the way you drive, Mode you are on, commute itself, traffic, but the € i'm saving just to be another guy that goes to work with a long face and a silent car.... not worth at all, I'd rather be smiling and listening to the exhaust poping and banging first thing in the morning, makes a lot of a difference on my day specially when i know 9 hours later i'll be driving again.
It's my take on this fuel consumption matter. Being a slave of my car, not a happy thought.

Couldn't have said it better mate, same here!

Do you really think 35mpg is bad? when I started driving (a long time ago) 35mpg from a 2L engine would have been the realms of fantasy, shows how far we have come that a car that can do 0 to 60 in 6 secs and 155mph can achieve it. My 1.4L Renault 5 turbo would do 28mpg if I was driving like mother Theresa so things are not as bad as made out, and the fuel consumption figures published are very unrealistic in the real world.
my 300bhp astra gets more. I'm guessing its the gearing.

I'm used to a lot more miles per tank, its just getting adjusted tbh