• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Knocking sound from steeeing (or wheels) when exiting wet ramp

lordll

Nthusiast
Aug 7, 2019
Barcelona
Hi all,

I have tried to look if there was any post similar, but couldn't find it, so apologies if it is already open.

I am facing a problem that I can't recall happening at the beginning of owning the car. Issue is that when I exit the parking ramp of my house and it is wet, if I put almost full steering I hear (and actually can feel) like a knocking sound coming from the wheels (similar when you put full throttle in the wet and car loses traction) it is quite difficult to explain, but it is not that I exit the ramp with big amounts of gas. Also, If I put full steering and the ramp is dry, I experience same issue to a certain level, not as bad as when it is dry.

I can't feel anything strange when doing spirited driving and when turning flat, even if it is wet, also there is no issue.

People has been telling me that this is related to either the diff (as the car is not up to temperature) or that the tyres are worn out (original Pzero). Even that there is some movement in the steering rack, but if it was that I would feel it when driving.

Does this happened to anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: NCurious
There's a *huge* thread on this, it's normal (and annoying). It's the diff and changing the tyres helps a bit, but the colder weather definitely makes it worse.

I'll try and dig the thread out

Reactions: GazmaN

Oh sorry about that... Didn't noticed the thread. Thanks Emma for your help.

Reactions: Bu11eT and _Emma
Oh sorry about that... Didn't noticed the thread. Thanks Emma for your help.

No need to apologise, the search function isn't the best! I've just been here too long and remember the threads

• Haha
Reactions: CozyTony
^^ this! I’m genuinely tempted to ask if they’ll swap the ps4 of my current N onto my DCT when I pick it up
The dealer was very easy on this.
He'll put the new Pirelli's of the dct on my current N when I 'll swap them. I 'm going to order some Motec ultralights with ps4s, so I can put those on.

Reactions: _Emma
Yes!!! Thanks for this thread, now I can see what is happening with my car when I am leaving parking space with my steering fully locked left :D
It happens only on summer P Zeros, not anymore on winter tyres.